Academic and student life

Welcoming Board
Welcome desk
Personal tax code
Opening a Bank account
Emergency numbers
Health insurance
Transports in Naples
University Polyphonic Choir
The Sinapsi Buddy Project

Welcoming Board

The UniNA Welcoming Board wishes to welcome all International Students and invite to join the University community and feel to be part of it.

Please register yourself sending a mail at: 

Welcome in UniNA!

Welcome in UniNa by the Rector's Erasmus Delegate
Welcome desk

The company International Students Union (ISU) will help you finding accommodation in Naples. The service, offered on behalf of the University of Naples Federico II, is free of charge.

It is the only company that officially collaborates with the university.

International Students Union (ISU) is an outsourcing company that provides management consulting and services, combining unparalleled experience and comprehensive capabilities across all of the welcome services offered to international students.

Contacts: International Welcome Desk Largo Santa Maria La Nova, 12 – 1st floor on the left- 80138 Napoli Opening time Mon –Wed – Fri 10 – 14.00 / Tue – Thu 10 – 16.30 Ph. +390810482669 – mob. +393245947719

Why apply for a visa?

A visa is a document that you can apply for at the Italian embassy or consulate offices in your country of residence and that is needed for entry into Italy.

Are you a regularly pre-enrolled student whose application has been validated by the receiving higher education institution within the UNIVERSITALY portal?
The diplomatic-consular Representations will issue a type “D” visa for STUDY “Immatricolazione Università”.

Are you a regularly pre-enrolled student and have you received confirmation from the University but with reservations (because you are not yet in physical possession of the relevant local qualification or because you are waiting to take the admission or language exam)?
The diplomatic-consular Representations will, in any case, issue a type “D” visa for STUDY “University matriculation” in order to allow you to sit the University/AFAM entrance examinations and to proceed, if you pass the selection tests, with subsequent matriculation without having to return to your country of origin.

Do the admission tests or language examinations take place before you obtain your final school-leaving certificate or at a time that does not allow you to complete your pre-enrolment?
You will have to apply for a short-term entry visa (Uniform Schengen Visa for stays of less than 90 days).

The competent diplomatic-consular Representation will issue a national entry visa for STUDY “University matriculation”, multiple entry, valid for 365 days only following your admission to participate in your chosen course, once you have returned to your country of origin.

When is the STUDY visa granted?
Only for enrolment in a university degree course, single-cycle degree course or master’s degree course, and in no case is this visa issued to foreigners enrolled in academic years subsequent to the year of enrolment.

What are the requirements for obtaining a visa for STUDY purposes?

a) Economic means of subsistence for the planned stay (amount of €467.65 per month for each month of the academic year, equal to €6,079.45 per year) proven by means of personal financial guarantees or those of parents or Italian or foreign citizens legally residing in Italian territory, or provided by Italian institutions and bodies of proven credit.

b) The availability of the sum needed for repatriation, which can also be proven by showing the return ticket.

c) Suitable accommodation in the national territory.

d) Adequate insurance cover, for medical treatment and hospitalisation, of which you will have to prove possession when applying for the residency permit.

e) A foreign insurance policy, whose forms of assistance provided are valid in Italy and which must not entail limitations or exceptions to the rates established for urgent hospitalisation for its entire duration;

f) insurance policy with national organisations or companies accompanied by a declaration from the insurance company specifying that there are no limitations or exceptions to the rates established for emergency hospitalisation for its entire duration.

Personal Tax Code

The “Codice Fiscale” (Italian Tax Code) is an alphanumeric code of 16 characters issued for free by the Italian Revenue Agency (Agenzia delle Entrate ) to identify Italian citizens and foreign residents when dealing with public offices or administration. The request can be made at any

Local Offices of the Italian Internal Revenue Service

You need to have your own “codice fiscale” to:

  • enroll at an Italian university;
  • open a bank account;
  • sign any type of contract (rental, phone line, etc.);
  • register at the National Healthcare Service (SSN).

At the “Ufficio delle Entrate” you will be asked to fill in a specific form for the issue of your “codice fiscale”. You’ll need to show you passport or other ID. Please make sure that your name is the same on every form. Keep it in the same order and always use the same surname, if you have more than one.

You must bring your passport. If you are from a non-EU country, you may be asked to show your residence permit receipt.

Opening a Bank Account

To open a bank account you must have a valid ID and a tax code.

Make sure to open a regular checking account and NOT another type of bank service which offers wire payment services such as prepaid card.

Your Italian bank account must have:

IBAN, International Bank Account Number (also known as Clabe or Aba depending on your country), which is an alphanumeric code identifying your bank account;

BIC, Bank Identifier Code/SWIFT, which is necessary to send money Worldwide.


The company International Students Union (ISU) will help you finding accommodation in Naples. The service, offered on behalf of the University of Naples Federico II, is free of charge.

It is the only company that officially coopes with the University. International Students Union (ISU) is an outsourcing company that provides management consulting and services, combining unparalleled experience and comprehensive capabilities across all the welcome services for international students.


Emergency Numbers

Italian emergency telephone numbers may be essential for you.
If, unfortunately, you find yourself in an emergency situation during your Italian stay, here are the national telephone numbers to ask for help. You can dial the numbers from anywhere in the country.
The calls are free.

In case of emergency or assistance you can dial 112 (one-one-two), single European emergency number. Callings will be directed to a single Assistance Unit, which will get you in contact with the competent authority, such as:

112 Carabinieri (military and judicial police for emergency assistance in case of a crime) –

113 National Police – Polizia di Stato (Security Police) –

 it can be used to request intervention in cases of theft, robbery, shooting, kidnapping and traffic violations.

115 Firemen – to be used to request rescue in cases of fire, missing persons (in mountains, rivers, caves or other), serious traffic accidents, flooding or natural disasters such as earthquakes and landslides.

118 Ambulance and emergency medical care –  to call in cases of health emergencies of all kinds

117 Financial Police – Guardia di Finanza –

1522 Anti-violence and stalking number: it gives support to women who are victims of violence of all kinds, both physical and psychological, and provides them with useful contacts for contacting local health centres.

Health insurance

Health: everyone’s right health care in Italy
Access to the National Healt Service by Non-EU nationals

Health Insurance

If you’d like to study in Italy, you must have health insurance. You will need to present proof of health insurance when you enroll at university and apply for a residence permit. Make sure to take care of your health insurance status before you arrive in Italy.

In case you are in an emergency situation you can dial 118 to call an ambulance or directly go to the Pronto Soccorso (Emergency room) of the closest hospital.

Registering with the SSN is warmly recommended because it entitles you to the same treatment as Italian citizens. This includes: choice of a general practitioner, who can visit you free of charge, and who will refer you to specialists (dentists, orthopedics, etc.); admission to public or certified private hospitals free of charge; doctor on duty-continuous assistance service (guardia medica) free of charge; lower fees for tests (blood tests, radiological tests, etc.).

Are you a european Citizen?

You are entitled through your local health authority to obtain the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which facilitates access to emergency and medical treatment that may become necessary during a temporary stay (less than 3 months) in another EU country.

You can directly access the Italian National Health Service (SSN) without paying any subscription. For a period longer than 3 months, the registration with the Italian National Health Service (SSN) is requested. For a complete health coverage you should obtain the S1 form (see below).

Application must be submitted at the Local Health Authorities (Azienda Sanitaria Locale – ASL) according to the area of residence. There are no fees and the Italian Health Insurance Card (Tessera Sanitaria) will be issued immediately and free of charge by the ASL.

Did you obtain an S1 form in your home country, before departure?

You can register with the SSN free of charge visiting one of the ATS or AUSL (local health offices). To register, take the following documents with you:

  • self-certificate of enrollment;
  • Tax code (codice fiscale);
  • copy of your passport/ID card;
  • S1 form (issued by the health authority in the EU country where you are entitled to healthcare).

Are you a Non-Eu Citizen?

Please note that for non-EU students it is compulsory to hold a health insurance (or a health insurance payment receipt) in order to apply for the residence permit. The residence permit will have the same validity in time of the health insurance and viceversa (the residence permit has a maximum validity of 12 months). Non Eu students can choose among three alternatives to obtain a health coverage.

  1. Register with the Italian National Health Service SSN

Registration with the Italian National Health Service can be done by submitting the application at a Local Health Authority (ASL) according to the city of residence.

Documents requested for the registration of non EU citizens:

  • Resident Permit or the application receipt from the municipality or self-certification
  • Valid Identity Card and/or Passport
  • Tax code (codice fiscale)
  • Payment of € 149,77 to the Postal Office on c/c n. 370007
  • Certificate of enrolment in a legally recognized university or self-certification

Registration is valid one calendar year (January 1st – December 31st). Students enrolling in September should purchase first a health insurance, which is valid for 12 months in order to obtain a residence permit of the same length of time, they can subscribe to the SSN later on.

  1. Subscribe a private health insurance policy abroad

You can decide to purchase a private health insurance in your own country before departure. It is always advisable that the insurance policy is validated by the Italian embassy and translated into Italian or English.

If there is a health assistance agreements between your country and Italy which entitles you to access the Italian National Health Service for free get the agreement documentation from your Embassy/consulate and submit it to the closest ATS office (Agenzia di Tutela della Salute – ATS)

  1. Subscribe a private health insurance policy in Italy

You can also purchase a private health insurance upon arrival.


The university includes a Natural Science and Physics Museum Centre made up of five museums which are just a short walking distance from the university main building on Corso Umberto I.
Royal Mineralogy Museum
Zoological Museum
Anthropology Museum
Museum of Paleontology
Museum of Physics
MUSA – Museum of Agricultural Sciences

These museums document the history and development of research that is carried out at the University of Naples in the field of natural sciences and physics since the end of the XVIII century by local scientists who achieved national and international notoriety during their time.

The centre was founded in 1992 as an independent organization for the advancement of education in the science of nature. Its activities include conservation and classification, research in the field of natural sciences and the organization of lectures, workshops and conferences for specialists as well as for ordinary people.

Free entrance for university students For further information, please visit


The library system of the University of Naples Federico II includes libraries of area, center and department.

These libraries are distributed throughout the city and surrounding areas, covering a span of approximately 17 km from the building site to the northwest of Agnano and Fuorigrotta to Portici.

The literary heritage owned by the libraries amounts to more than two million volumes and almost 3,500 subscriptions to various periodicals. visit the website

Transports in Naples

Buses, trams, funiculars 

The main transport company is ANM (Azienda Napoletana Mobilità), which operates two underground lines 1 and 6, four funicular lines (Chiaia, Montesanto, Centrale and Mergellina) and the entire bus service, including trams and trolleybuses. The network is very extensive throughout the territory and includes more than 80 lines including urban, suburban and night lines.

How to pay: tickets can be purchased at tabacchi (tobacco stores), news kiosks, and from machines at Metro and funicular stations and at some bus stops.

ANM Tickets

ANM tickets for the two metro lines, buses, trolleybuses, trams and funiculars can be purchased in authorised shops, at the Anm Points, at the Unico ticket offices in Line 1 metro stations (Garibaldi, Toledo, Università and Vanvitelli) or through vending machines.

The UnicoCampania App has also recently been launched, with which you can purchase a digital ticket (for now only for trams, buses and trolleybuses) and plan your journeys by public transport.

A single ticket, valid for a single journey on one of the ANM network lines, costs € 1.10 on an urban line and € 1.30 on a suburban line. The ANM urban single journey ticket can also be purchased on board the buses at a surcharge of € 1.50.

ANM season tickets

If you plan to use the bus several times a day or for several days, it is convenient to purchase a season ticket. The season tickets currently available are:

  • Day ticket: valid for an unlimited number of journeys on all ANM vehicles until midnight on the day of validation. Cost: € 3.50.
  • Seven-day pass: valid for an unlimited number of journeys on all ANM vehicles for seven days from the date of first validation. Cost: € 12,50.
  • Monthly ticket: valid for an unlimited number of journeys on all ANM vehicles until midnight on the last day of the calendar month. Cost: € 35,00.
  • Annual ticket: valid for an unlimited number of journeys, for 12 consecutive calendar months from the first day of the month of validity until midnight on the last day of the month of validity. Cost: €235,20

Alibus ticket to/from Naples-Capodichino

Airport For those arriving in Naples by air or train there is Alibus, a special bus line that provides a direct link between Naples International Airport and the city centre, making stops at the Central Station, the Port and the Maritime Station terminal.

Tickets for this service can be purchased on board, at authorised outlets (tobacconists, newsagents, bars), at ANM Points or online.

The cost of the shuttle bus tickets are:

  • Alibus single journey: € 5.00
  • Unico Alibus: € 5.00 valid for 90 minutes from the first validation allows you to make one journey on the Alibus shuttle bus and then, if necessary, to continue using other means of transport operated by the UnicoCampania Consortium companies, within the urban area of Naples.

Naples Metro

In Naples there is also an underground network that is, however, managed by three transport companies: ANM, EAV and Trenitalia. In total, there are 7 lines:

  • Line 1, also called the Metro dell’Arte, operated by ANM
  • Line 6, also operated by ANM
  • Line 2, the Passante Ferroviario Napoli San Giovanni Barra – Pozzuoli operated by Trenitalia
  • 4 funiculars, operated by EAV, connect Naples with the surrounding hilly areas and are: Circumvesuviana, Circumflegrea, Metro CampaniaEst and Cumana.

The metro runs every day from about 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

  • Single ticket cost: € 1.10 ANM ticket, € 1.30 EAV ticket, € 2.20 Trenitalia ticket
  • Season ticket cost: daily € 3.50, weekly € 12.50 with both ANM and EAV.

TIC Tickets

With the TIC ticket (Ticket Integrato Campania) you can travel on all means of transport of the different local transport companies with a single ticket and without the worry of having to buy different tickets.

The cost of the TIC Urbano Napoli ticket, which is valid for travel within the Naples area, excluding the Alibus line, is:

  • Single journey (90 minutes): € 1.60
  • One-day ticket: € 4.50
  • Seven-day season ticket: € 16.00
  • Monthly ticket: € 42.00
  • Annual ticket: € 294.00

For more information visit the official ANM website:


Free students ticket season

Due to the agreement between the Campania Region and Trasporto Unico Campania, students enrolled in university, university masters or postgraduate specialisation courses are able to apply for a free season ticket to use public transport.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Fall within the age range of 11-26 years
  • Have a valid ordinary ISEE certificate not exceeding € 35,000

Please note that to renew your subscription you have to create a new account and request a new card.

The amount to be paid will be € 10.00.

Consult the complete information via this link:


The sport activities available for students are organised and managed by the C.U.S. (University Sports Centre)
Segreteria Impianti Sportivi – Sport Facilities Office:
Via Campegna 267 – 80124 tel. 081/7621295
Activities and facilities available

Summer and winter camps Winter sport weeks for mountain and cross-country skiing Summer sport weeks for courses in sailing, canoeing etc.

University Polyphonic Choir

International students with musical experience may join the Universitary Polyphonic Choir as temporary members, participating to the enjoyable social and cultural events.

Universitary Polyphonic Choir – via Porta di Massa n. 1, Naples

Ph. 081 2539224


The Sinapsi Buddy Project

aims to foster inclusivity within the university community. To participate, all you need is to be a student at Federico II University with a keen desire to get involved.

The philosophy behind the Sinapsi BUDDY Project is to voluntarily dedicate some of your time to assist fellow students in navigating academic, cultural, and social aspects of university life.

We aim to create an inclusive community that is supportive and enriching for all.

Download brochure

If you’re interested in assisting fellow students who, like you, have chosen Federico II University for their educational journey, reach out to your Erasmus professor delegate or the Sinapsi Center. Simply send an email to:

Scroll to Top